I have tons of food photos sitting in my inbox I wanted to share on my site. Too bad a month and change has passed, haha. But hey, there’s always today, right?
Some time ago, I decided to try my hand at making Cordon Bleu. The dish (meat stuffed with meat with cheese wrapped around it) sounded simple enough. My meal is perfect for those who don’t like their meat heavily fried (some how I feel there’s a naughty joke in this statement) or breaded.
This is a very straightforward dish that doesn’t take too much effort and is something that will likely get you a high-five or two.
Simple Chicken Cordon Bleu
adapted from recipe on AllRecipes.com
- 3-4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (I used three)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 9-12 thin ham slices
- 6-8 Swiss cheese slices
- ½-¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon oregano (optional)
Items you’ll need
- Cooking spray
- Plastic wrap
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on the counter. Place each chicken breast on top and cover with another sheet of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or your fist (I used the latter), beat each chicken breast until flat. (Note: Try not to go Ali on the chicken breast too much or you’ll create holes.)
3. Season with salt and pepper, add one slice of Swiss cheese, and three pieces of ham slices on top of each of the flattened chicken breasts.
4. Keeping a toothpick (or two) nearby, carefully roll up the chicken breast and secure with toothpicks. Repeat for the remaining chicken breasts. Season tops and sides with salt and pepper and place inside a baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and (optional) oregano.
You might also like: 30-Minute Pork Chops in a White Wine Butter Sauce
6. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven.
7. Add a slice of Swiss cheese on top of chicken breast. Cook for an additional five minutes in the oven (or until cheese melts). Remove baking dish from oven once chicken is fully cooked.
8. Remove toothpicks. Sprinkle each chicken breast with breadcrumbs (don’t have to use too much). Serve with your favorite side(s).