Disciplinary policies throughout schools across the country affect BIPOC children at disproportionate rates. Black students, in particular, are three times more likely to get suspended or expelled, compared to their white counterparts — increasing their risk of entering the criminal justice system. Roughly 1 in 5 students in classrooms across the country do not have access to a school counselor, with many districts opting for a higher police presence in learning institutions that leaves children vulnerable to potential arrest (or escalated disciplinary action) instead of restorative alternatives.
- Advocate on behalf of parents and families for equitable treatment of their children in school — including setting meetings with school and district officials to address shortcomings.
- Champion and help school districts apply culturally responsive education (CRE) to celebrate diversity and inclusion — through teaching, curricula, instructional materials, and practices — throughout educational systems.
- Member of the WNY Public Broadcasting Association’s (WNYPBA) Educational Services Advisory Committee.
- PTSA Council Delegate for school district
- Shared Decision-Making Committee member for school district
- VP of Programming on PTA Executive Council
- Reduce the police state in schools and the school-to-prison pipeline that disproportionately impact children of color.
- Support the Campaign for Fiscal Equity (CFE) to close the spending gap between districts and create an equitable education system for all students.
Support the mission of the Alliance for Quality Education (AQE) to mobilize communities across the state to keep New York true to its promise of ensuring a high quality public education to all students regardless of zip code, work to end the systemic racism and economic oppression in New York’s public schools that continues to shortchange generations of Black, Brown, low-income and immigrant students, and work to advance proven-to-work strategies that lead to student success and ultimately create a powerful public demand for a high quality education.